Things in my head

The thinkings of a Londoner lost in the mire of Essex

Friday, October 14, 2005

Made in the image of God




  • I've been pondering this a little bit recently, and I started to write a post on it, then gave up, then got told by Saint Jon of Matthews to give it a go again. So,

    What does it mean to be made in the image of God?

    One of the things that I was thinking around was the idea of community. Now obviously there are animals that live in community, but it seems that that is largely to do with safety in numbers, or common feeding grounds. I wonder if part of what it is for humans to be made in the image of God is our desire to exist in community.

    A lot of our posts have talked about the need for a greater emphasis on community- be that in a Christian or non-Christian setting. For eternity, God has existed in community. It is one of the most central parts to His character. The Father, Son and Spirit all existing in relationship with one another. In community with one another.

    So what do you guys think? Is our desire for community part of our being designed in the image of God? And what else do you think it involves. Your time, starts now...

    Also I want to say that having you as mates is great. My mates at home went to different uni's around the country, and none of them found such a great group of people. We hit the jackpot methinks. Anyway, on with the debate...
  • 10 Comments:

    At 15 October, 2005 23:23 , Blogger Dan said...

    Tim, I just realised you've changed your colour-scheme. I think I realised after my eyes didn't shrivle away from putrid green with grey. Well done, it doesn't hurt my brain now.

    But as for IMAGE OF GOD, I gather that in Trinity, Roger says a similar thing to you; that the main thing is community and relationship. You'd better check it out because shamefully I've yet to finish it. But yeah, I think the gist is that God is love and has eternally been in relationship and that is the thing we are made in the image of. Makes sense to me. I expect the books longer than that though.

    I'll try and read it before this post is dead and present the definitive answer.

     
    At 17 October, 2005 20:20 , Blogger Tim Lovell said...

    Thinking about things that are unique to humans, did you know that as far as we know no animals can be scitzophrenic, or be psycho. Maybe thats got something to do with it?!?

     
    At 17 October, 2005 21:20 , Blogger Jon said...

    I particularly like the argument made by the theologian Zizoulas. He follows Augustine's concept of the trinity in that the Spirit is the bond of love between the Father and the Son. And as it is up there, so it is down here. The Spirit is the bond of love that draws our community together. Nice analogy.

     
    At 18 October, 2005 11:34 , Blogger Dan said...

    Does Augustine's idea of 'the Spirit as the bond of love' not diminish the person of the Holy Spirit a bit? Makes him into a bit more of a Jehovahs Witness-type non-personal force...

     
    At 18 October, 2005 19:38 , Blogger Jon said...

    Dan, it certainly could be construed like this. But then I wouldn't want to call Augustine a Jehovah's Witness.

    Nice blog by the way.

     
    At 18 October, 2005 19:51 , Blogger Jon said...

    What a wonderful theme tune you have

     
    At 18 October, 2005 21:24 , Blogger Dan said...

    Thanks, I try.

    The previous question was because I always handle Augustine with caution. I'm no scholar but I understand that his general theological outlook was very Greek-influenced.

    I always get into your blog by the way; makes me think.

     
    At 19 October, 2005 21:05 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    hey tim mate, yeah if you could set me up one that would be brilliant of you. please don't attactch my sirname to it in any way and please call it Wake up, you've been sleeping. Thanks mate. really appreciate it. Andy

     
    At 20 October, 2005 12:04 , Blogger Tim Lovell said...

    Its all done. I'm just gonna try to get your email address, and I'll give you the details soon.

     
    At 20 October, 2005 17:10 , Blogger jodes da princess said...

    Tim I love the music on your blog. I keep clicking on an off to hear it!! (but dude, you have way too much spare time)

     

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home